-A A +A

Grants of up to £10,000 to make your home greener and save on energy bills

Thursday, 22 July, 2021 - 14:00 to Wednesday, 22 September, 2021 - 14:00




Green Homes Team


London Borough of Havering

Town Hall

Main Road, Romford.



Email: greehomes@havering.gov.uk


14th July 2021






Dear Havering Resident


Re: Grants of up to £10,000 to make your home greener and save on energy bills


Your home has been identified as one which may be eligible for a significant grant of up to £10,000, to install renewable energy or insulation upgrades, to help keep you warmer whilst reducing your energy bills and carbon emissions.  This is because your home may have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of D, E, F or G, which indicates that you may have high energy bills.



Am I eligible for the grant?


In order to be eligible for the grant, your total gross household income must be below £30,000 per annum. Or alternatively, after deducting tax, national insurance your mortgage (or rent) payments and council tax, your income is below £20,000 per year.



Which works might I be able to get a grant for in my home?


These are the energy and CO2 upgrades that you may be able to receive in your home:


ü  Replacing an existing heating system with a renewable energy heat pump heating system

ü  Solid or cavity wall insulation

ü  Solar panels (to generate free electricity)

ü  Loft or roof insulation.


Please note that these grants may not be suitable, or available for flats, maisonettes, or other properties which are leasehold, rather than freehold and all works and grants are subject to survey, eligibility and terms and conditions. The upgrades offered will be based on the results of our free whole house survey.


Who pays for the grants?


This Havering Council Green Homes Programme is funded by national Government and other sources, as part of the national drive to reduce carbon emissions. 


We make it easy for you:

All grant applications and works are made and managed seamlessly on your behalf by our managing agent, Happy Energy Solutions Ltd, who also manage all of the installation works. After the whole house survey has been carried out you will be given a choice of upgrades that are suitable for your property and you can then choose if you want to go ahead.


Do I need to pay anything?


If you own your property you will pay nothing. If you rent your home, contact your landlord and tell them about this programme as, provided that you meet the qualification criteria, your landlord could be entitled to a grant of up to £5000 and they will only have to pay one third of the cost of any upgrades installed.


How do I find out more?


To read our frequently asked questions, visit https://www.havering.gov.uk/greenhomesgrant,


To apply directly go to www.warmerhomes.london/plus and complete the online application form.


If you have any questions you can email the Green Homes Team at greehomes@havering.gov.uk.


If you do not have access to the Internet please complete the “tear off” slip on the attached leaflet.



Nick Kingham, Jodie Gutteridge, Jonny Morrison

Corporate Projects Team




Questions & Answers




Q: Why does this grant scheme exist?


A: The grants are a Government commitment to tackling climate change and reducing energy bills.        



Q: What income and expenditure evidence will I need to provide?


A: We will ask for income evidence for all adults in the home to confirm that you meet the income eligibility levels mentioned in the letter. This may include pay slips, P60s, benefit letters (if applicable) or bank statements.  We may also need a copy of your mortgage statement (or tenancy agreement) and your council tax bill.



Q: When do I need to apply?


A: You need to have applied online at www.warmerhomes.london/plus or returned the tear off slip by 30th September 2021. Upgrades must be completed by the end of 2021.



Q: I am a landlord/tenant, what do I need to know?


A: Privately rented properties may be eligible for a grant of up to £5,000.  Properties with an EPC rating of F or G are not legally allowed to be rented out, so these grants and works could be invaluable for landlords to bring the home to an EPC rating of E or above.  Both landlords and tenants must consent to the grant application.



Q: Do I need to pay anything?


If you own your property there is nothing to pay, however if you are a landlord of a private rented property, you will be expected to pay one third of the total cost of works. 



Q: What upgrades will I receive?


A: If eligible, a comprehensive whole house assessment will be completed by our delivery partner, Happy Energy Solutions Ltd.  A package of upgrades will be proposed to you, offering the best combination of comfort improvements and energy bill savings, based on the grant funding that is available.  At this point you can decide whether to proceed with the works.



Q: Is the grant subject to any conditions, or does it need to be repaid?


A: The grant will not have to be repaid.  The terms of the grant require the owner-occupier (or tenant) to sign a document confirming that the works have been completed and that they will allow access for any post installation surveys or inspections that are needed.